Sunday 10 July 2016

First 'Friendly' Review...

My good friend, Charles Ricketts, agreed to read The Pink Herring and give me some critical feedback. I've known Chaz for over 30 years and we share a love of reading, particularly science fiction. He has pointed so many great books my way over the years:

  • Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks
  • Weaveworld by Clive Barker
  • The Mote In God's Eye by Larry Niven & Gerry Pournelle
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick

...to name but a few.

So, a little apprehensively I sent him a copy of the first draft, knowing that I would get an honest appraisal - no friend rates accepted. Apart from a bundle of grammatical errors that he meticulously documented, the overall view was good:
"Overall, I really liked this book. There is a good pace to it and each chapter made me want to read on. I enjoyed the crispness of the characters..."
But, there's always a but. Basically, the feedback was:
  1. My characters needed more depth and backstory;
  2. Some needed more strife in their life to reflect the real world;
  3. Everyone seems quite intelligent and faintly genteel giving it a "slightly ersatz Agatha Christie feel at times";
  4. The investigation moves along a little too smoothly - it needs more set backs and mundanity in the police work.
All good and valid stuff from my good friend which I will now incorporate into the next draft...

Please feel free to share this - go on, hit the button of your choice...

2 comments:

  1. The Pink Herring has a good range of interesting characters and a twisty narative that keeps the reader guessing where all of it will come together (which I am pleased to say it does nicely at the end). Well done Tom

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...

Ask the author...

... anything - send him a direct email - he's very responsive.

The Nor'easter is on sale

    eBook from AmazoniBooksKobo or any other digital platform. Paperback from Amazon.

The Pink Herring is on sale

    Buy it as a paperback at Amazon or on any digital platform at Books2Read

Popular Posts: